Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Progress on the aggressive schedule

I made the necessary modifications to the puzzle box, did some preliminary sanding, and glued the bottom on. Tomorrow will be more sanding and then applying the stain. If you read my first post about the puzzle box you may recall mention about a plan for that center block that normally would be discarded. I sawed that into a smaller piece and did some sanding. Tomorrow I will make a small knob to mount on top. It will fit inside the box and be a cover for the contents, adding one more "layer" of puzzle to the project. A picture (soon) will make that clearer.

I finished making the turn buttons for the picture frames and installed them. Two problems were encountered and one was solved.
1. For a #4 screw I was drilling a 1/16 inch pilot hole in the sycamore. When installing the screws they kept breaking. So, I switched to a 3/32 inch bit. That fixed the problem.
2. For two of the frames the glass does not fit into the rabbets. There is some flexing in the sycamore that is "closing down" the space. The solution will be to slightly enlarge the rabbeted area with a utility knife and chisels. It will be like doing surgery and will probably only take a few minutes per frame. That will be tomorrow night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home