Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Started on the fence

I got the 4 larger washers and bolted the DP table to the DP. Then I spent a little time in making a fence that can slide in the T-tracks and be bolted down. I cut two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood to length and width. These will be glued together for a little beefy-ness. They will be edge banded with oak, like the table, and laminate will be applied to the face. Not sure if I will use the same laminate, or white to aid in visibility.

I marked where I will need a channel between the two pieces (slot for a retaining bolt) and cut those out with multiple passes on the table saw. The hole, therefore, is rectangular, which gives a little room for the bolt to wiggle as the fence is slid back and forth. I had read that in an article and it was easier to do than try to drill a straight hole. I clamped the two boards together and mocked it up, but didn't have bolts that were long enough. Clearly though, it will be fine. The top of the fence will have another T-track so I can add a sliding stop block.

Finally I put a small drill bit in the DP and drilled a hole in the table to mark where a bit penetrates the table. Using that spot as a reference, I need to remove some material and make replaceable inserts. These can be swapped out as needed. For example, when drilling I can put in an insert that is intended to get chewed up. When using a drum sander, the insert can have a hole large enough for the drum to sit slightly below the surface of the table. Inserts can be made for each size drum.

Fun stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home