Monday, January 16, 2006

Another obstacle...not really.

Last night I intended to rout out the groove for the aluminum track that I bought for the router table. This one is a little wider and deeper than the T-track that I got for the drill press table. I had hoped I could use the same router and jig setup as before, but found that it wasn't going to work.

So I was getting ready to set up the jig and found that it is too short to fit on the table that I want to groove. Darn!

The picture is the jig on the DRILL PRESS table. No problem since that is not as wide as the ROUTER table.

I didn't have any straight stock milled to put together a quick and dirty solution so I put this task off. But then I thought "Hey! I have used that crappy metal router table many times now and never once needed the miter slot. I can do without a miter slot for awhile." I do want to have a miter slot because there are some cool jigs that one can build that utilize that feature. But that can be done another time. For now I can start marking where holes will go to mount the table into my tablesaw wing. And there is the bigger task of routing out the area where the router will sit in the table. That scares me because a misatake means the table is ruined. I'll need to practice on cheap plywood first.

Next I decided to mount the new drill press table to the metal one that comes with the DP. I predrilled all the holes for lag bolts, and started to bolt it in place. As I was snugging up the bolts I found that the washers were just a little too small and they started to come through the slots in the metal table that is being covered. Easy solution...add on some larger washers...which I don't have !!

So last night was a bust for getting things accomplished. And it was too cold in the shop anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home