Monday, January 09, 2006

Shop reorg

I looked at my shop and was just disgusted. I am not an orderly person. Things get put down, then covered up with other things. That gets covered up with sawdust, then other things. There is not a place for everything and everything in it's place.

But I am changing slowly. More and more I am organizing. I looked at the shop and made some important decisions.
1. Things such as tools should be easier to get out and to put away. If it's not easy I just lay them down and don't do it. That leads to clutter.
2. Things that are seldom used should not be in important places. They should be more out of the way. And things that are often used (or should be often used) should be in convenient places.

So over the weekend I set to work on getting the shop cleaner and more organized, using what I have, not making anything new. Once organized I can then decide on how to make it better by making a new cabinet or drawer storage unit.

So what did I do?
To solve problem 1 above, I moved all cabinets and drawer storage for tools to the front of the shop, near the doors, and all side by side.

To solve problem 2 I moved the lathe (seldom used) to the back wall, the drill press and bandsaw (often used) and workbench (should be often used) to the wall that was just upgraded with air compressor outlets and electrical outlets.

During this process (which was a few hours on Saturday, a few on Sunday, and lunchtime today) I cleaned sawdust off every item moved and the floor where things were moved from and to.

Though not perfect yet I think it will make a tremendous difference and am happy about it. Pictures soon.

2 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, January 10, 2006, Blogger DB said...

I try to do that twice each year in my basement. It's a hobby room and it really gets messy sometimes and a good cleanup is the only answer. It's easier to work in a clean spot too.

 
At 11:23 AM, January 10, 2006, Blogger paulette said...

Sounds like you are coming down with adult-onset Azariasitis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home