Thursday, May 18, 2006

Cherry team done.

Here are the cherry knights. Yes, they look different from each other. Every time I make a piece it looks different. Yet they look like they are on the same team, and that is what is important to me. A chess set of two teams, yet no two pieces look exactly alike.


And here is the cherry team.


When the poplar team is done I need to drill holes in the bases fill with shot, plug, and add felt. I've already experimented with a scrap piece and it adds a nice bottom weighting...not as easy to tip over.

Decided that I will build the chess board as a moveable box, rather than a table with drawers. The gift recipient would like it to be portable.

6 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, May 18, 2006, Blogger paulette said...

What a beautiful set.

When you say "shot" are you talking like amunition? I mean, if there were a fire or something would they go off?

 
At 2:40 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Tim B. said...

Howdy,

Yes, shot as in ammunition. But just the tiny pellets, nothing explosive about it.

I bought a box of shotgun cartridges and spent about an hour cutting them open and emptying the shot. The gun powder is in a different part of the shell and I simply threw that away. I am not a gun person and don't know anything about how readily available shot is, but WalMart has the cartridges.

So now I have a small Dixie cup full of these metal pellets.

Wouldn't it be funny, though, if someone slammed down a piece saying "Checkmate!" and the piece exploded?

 
At 4:33 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

Would that be like bebees? I think that the fact that no 2 pieces are alike is a good thing. Not made by machine, but hand-made by man!

 
At 8:43 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Tim B. said...

Yes indeed. Very much like BBs (Ball Bearings). I compared shot to BBs AFTER taking the shot out of the shells. They look nearly identical except shot is a little bit smaller. Never did compare the cost, though, but if I would have used BBs they would have been ready to go...less work.

 
At 6:11 AM, May 20, 2006, Blogger DB said...

Beautiful set.

 
At 4:46 PM, May 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While playing chess with this set, and waiting for the opponent to move, the maker can mull over the materials, steps, polishing, mistakes and ultimate triumph associated with the pieces. The opponent must restrict mental activity to mere moves on the board.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home