Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Need RTV

As we were growing up, my dad often referred to using RTV. Look it up and you will see that it stands for "Room Temperature Vulcanizing" rubber. It's a sticky product that is squirted out of a tube, then cures to a rubbery consistency. Amazing how many things my dad felt could be fixed by applying some RTV (fixing holes in sneakers using "Shoe-Goo" was just one use my dad had for RTV).

Well, it has been years since I even thought about RTV. Then all of a sudden I have a need for it. I like my simple bluetooth earpiece (Motorola H3). It came with the older phone I bought and since replaced. Nothing is wrong with the bluetooth electronics, but a molder rubber piece has torn over the years and is starting to fall off. I set it on the shelf for a long time because using it was a little ear-ritating!

And all of a sudden it hit me...I need RTV !! A judicious squirt here and there and I can stick that piece back on. Another squirt or two and some forming with a popsicle stick will make that piece good as new. It may not actually look like it came from the factory but it will work perfectly. And all for a little over a dollar.

Good old RTV !


At 11:26 PM, March 01, 2011, Blogger Marcel said...

Welcome to RTV world.


Post a Comment

<< Home