Testing video linking
If this works like I hope:
Click here to see Tim board breaking.
If this works like I hope:
A friend recently gave me a "Lucky Bamboo" plant. Did you know that they aren't really bamboo, even though they look like it? Anyway, I have always liked these, but never bought one. They grow in just water. I looked them up online and found that you shouldn't use tap water because municipalities add fluoride, and that causes the leaves to brown. So what to do? Go to the store and BUY distilled water? Not on my dime. I figured out a FREE alternative.
...for the dust collector I just knocked out some simple pens. Made these last night and during lunch break today.
There is a pair of filters that need to be combined into one assembly for the cyclone dust collection system. I started on that last night. The two filters are identical but in order to connect them, the foam weatherstrip needed to be removed from the top of one (on the left). This was done with a razor blade and rubbing with "Goo Gone".
Last night I worked on modifying the lid of the metal garbage can, for the dust collection system, to accept the short piece of flexible hose. I've never done any sheet metal fabrication and really thought this would be a big challenge. but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I wish that I had a better pair of "tin snips" but I made do.
I am very close to having the ductwork ready for the dust collector.
Over the weekend I bought some pieces that have 4 inch connectors, for adding dust collection ability to the table saw, and today I did MOST of the work of adding the pieces to the tablesaw. Just one more part to simply bolt in place, but if I do that now then I can't use the tablesaw before the main DC unit is ready. So I will finish the main unit first. The thickness planer already has a 4 inch port.
Also today, I received the transition pieces to reduce the 6 inch main duct down to 4 inches.
Over the next few days I need to:
I also need to have the unit wired which can be done any time. It would be great to have a remote control that can clip on my belt which will start and stop the unit from anywhere in the shop, but that may have to wait a month or two. The electrician can install an on/off switch, which can stay in place even when the remote control device is added. That will be a minor inconvenience but only for a short time.
Looking forward to having it operational, probably in a few more evenings over 2 weeks. When it is done the very next thing that should be done is to vacuum the whole shop. There is a fine layer of dust all over and that is very unhealthy to try to sweep.
Well, here are some pictures of what I have been working on.
Yesterday my son helped me work on the duct for the dust collector. My only goal for the day was get the hanging ropes in place. It was very hot in the shop, so we didn't want to be out there very long.
Silly title, I know.
Way out in my backyard, at the border with the lady that lives behind, there is a lot of glass in the ground. I'm sure it has been there for decades. With soil erosion this glass surfaces. I asked her about it and she said that her parents used to have a house on that property before building her current house and that there was never any garbage pickup, so they dumped "stuff" at various places on the property. Well, I can understand that, but technically it is on MY property. So, whenever I can I go out with a trowel, whisk broom, and bucket and get whatever is easy. Usually I only spend a few minutes here and there. Last week I found a rather nice, intact milk bottle. I cleaned it off and will give it to a neighbor who has wanted one but complained he could only find them at flea markets and didn't want to pay. When held just right I can read some lettering on it that may have been silk screened or bled through a label. Google hasn't turned up anything about the particular dairy, so I am at a loss to determine how long that bottle has been in the ground.
Sometimes a solution to a problem is so simple that it is easy to overlook or ignore.